Monday, February 9, 2009

The heart of the heart of the country

This morning, we took a plane from SeaTac to Minneapolis. As is common in the industry, the airplane had wings, one of which you can see from my window here: We got up at 4:30 am, so it would have been pleasant to take a nap on the plane. Unfortunately, while I possess an array of unexpected skills (a killer serve in badminton, for instance) I am terrible at sleeping on planes, so instead I stayed awake, reading the New Yorker and memorizing the bones of the inner ear, which were featured in an article I came across there (malleus, incus, stapes, aka club, anvil, stirrup, in case you were wondering). I also continued to read My Diva:65 Gay Men on the Women Who Inspire Them, edited by Michael Montlack and pictured here... ...which I am enjoying, and which I will be reviewing for an upcoming issue of BITCH. As you can see, there was sun above the clouds, shining in all sparkly on my tray table and notes. The light in the Pacific Northwest is so gray and indirect. As it turns out, it's gray and indirect here in Minnesota today too... If you are also here, in this light in the Twin Cities, then come to the Loft tonight to hear us read with the Rebecca Kanner! Special thanks to Matt Rasmussen who picked us up from the airport, and Janna Rasmussen who made the elaborate brownies pictured below. We are staying at their house because they are super-nice like that.

No comments: